– Zucchini is a summer squash
– It is also technically a fruit, but is treated as a vegetable in the cooking world
– Zucchini can be dark or light green
– It can grow up to a meter long!
– The flowers of the zucchini plant are also edible and are often used as a garnish
– Zucchini flowers can also be deep fried, stuffed, sauteed, baked, or used in soup.
– Squash originates from the Americas, but zucchini in particular was developed in Italy in the late 19th century and eventually brought over to the United States in the 1920’s
Makes 2 loaves
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
3. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
4. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl.
5. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well.
6. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
7. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.