– Broccoli belongs to the cabbage family, but resembles cauliflower
– Has large green flower heads in a tree-like structure
– Was first bred in the Northern Mediterranean in the 6th century BC (2000 years ago!)
– Brought to England in the mid-18th century
– Was not widely known in the United States until the 1920’s
Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 heads fresh broccoli
1 red onion
1/2 pound bacon
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or regular white vinegar)
1. Place bacon in a deep skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Cool and crumble.
2. Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cut the onion into thin bite-size slices. Combine with the bacon, raisins, your favorite nuts and mix well.
3. To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth. Stir into the salad, let chill and serve.