Selection and Storage:
– Broccoli is available year-round
– Look for bright and firm heads
– Avoid yellowing broccoli
– Can be placed inside refrigerator in ziploc bag for a few days
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Makes 2-4 servings
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups chopped broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 (15 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
plus a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper
(optional: a few generous pinches of Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning)
1. Stir together stock, diced onion and broccoli in a medium saucepan.
2. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a low boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
4. Stir in the evaporated milk and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until the mixture returns to a simmer.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
6. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!