Prep and Serving:
– Broccoli can be boiled, steamed, or eaten raw!
– Rinse heads by dipping upside down in salt water for up to half an hour and then rinse with cold water
– Keep in mind that broccoli loses nutrients while steaming or boiling
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Makes 12 servings
3 heads broccoli, cut into florets
½ cup butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black or white pepper
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
2 cups crushed crackers
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Spray a 13 x 9 – inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Add broccoli florets to a large heavy-bottomed stockpot of boiling water.
4. Cook for 3-5 minutes and then drain broccoli from the water. Set aside.
5. Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
6. Whisk in flour until well-combined, then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese.
7. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly.
8. Stir in sour cream.
9. Arrange broccoli in casserole dish and then pour cream sauce over broccoli.
10. Top with cheddar cheese and crushed crackers.
11. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
12. Serve warm and enjoy!