– Mango comes from the mango tree and is classified as a stone fruit (because of it’s hard seed in the middle)
– Mango is native to South and Southeast Asia, but has spread worldwide being grown in places such as: East Asia, Africa, Brazil, Mexico, the West Indies, Spain, the Canary Islands, Florida, California, South and Central America, the Caribbean, Hawai’i, Australia, and China
– India is the largest producer of mangoes, but accounts for less than 1% of the international mango trade because India consumes most of its own production
– Mango trees can grow to be over 100 feet tall and can live up to 300 years!
– There are over 400 different varieties of mangoes
– National fruit of India, Pakistan, Philippines
– National tree of Bangladesh
– Mangoes are yellow, orange, red, green, and often a combination of all four colours
– Generally sweet
– Texture can vary from soft and pulpy to firm and fibrous
Makes 2 servings
2 mangos – peeled, seeded and diced
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup ice
1. In a blender, combine mangos, yogurt, sugar and ice.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into glasses and serve.