Selection and Storage:
– Beet should be bright, firm, unmarked, have healthy looking leaves, and smooth skin
– Sever green leafy tops from the root vegetable as soon as possible as the leaves rob moisture and nutrition from the root
– Beet greens should be used while fresh
– Beetroot can be kept in the fridge for a few weeks
Beets and Greens Salad
Makes 4 servings
3 tbsp red-wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 minced garlic clove
1/8 tsp salt
1 large grated beet
2 cups shredded beet greens
1. Whisk vinegar with olive oil, mustard, garlic and salt in a bowl.
2. Stir in grated beet and shredded beet greens.
3. Let stand 10 min before serving.