– Pears are related to apples, the main difference is that the flesh of pears are gritty
– Pears are native from western Europe to north Africa to Asia
– Pear trees range from 30-60 feet tall
– Some pears are edible while some are just ornamental
– There are over 3000 known varities of pear!
– The specific variety of pear we sell is the Beurre Bosc (AKA Bosc) pear which is a variety of the European Pear
– Bosc pears have a long tapering neck and russet skin
– Bosc pear flesh is dense, crisp, and smooth
– Bosc pears are called the “aristocrat of pears”
Makes 2 8×5 inch loaves
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 cups peeled, shredded pears
1 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine the oil, eggs, sugar, grated pears, pecans, and vanilla.
4. Blend well.
5. Add to well of dry ingredients.
6. Stir until just moistened.
7. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8x5x3 inch loaf pans.
8. Bake in oven for one hour and 15 minutes.
9. Cool on wire rack before removing from the loaf pans.