Selection and Storage:
– Choose fresh, bright, and firm pears
– Pears can be stored at room temperature until ripe
– Pears will ripen quicker if placed next to bananas
– Ripening will slow when placed in a fridge
– You will know a pear is ripe when the fruit around the stem gives to gentle pressure
– When ripe, pears are best stored in the fridge and can last 2-3 days
Pear Bread Pudding
Makes 4 servings
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 slices soft whole-wheat bread, each cut in half
2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound thinly sliced cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. Butter a 9-inch square pan.
3. In a saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, butter, and salt until small bubbles form.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add the warm milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
5. Layer the square pan with the bread.
6. Top with the pears.
7. Pour the milk-egg mixture into the baking pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
8. Bake until golden, about 35 minutes.
9. Top with the cheddar, if desired, and bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes.
10. Serve warm and enjoy!