Selection and Storage:
– Green beans are selected for the fleshiness, flavor, and sweetness of their pods
– Should be tender, long, stiff, but flexible and give a “snap” sound when broken
– Avoid limpy or over matured beans with tough skin
– Place them in a perforated plastic bag and keep inside the refrigerator
– They keep well for up to a week
Spicy Pickled Green Beans
Makes 2 pints
3/4 pound trimmed green beans
4 thinly sliced cloves of garlic
2 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 teaspoons sugar
2 dried red chiles
1. Arrange green beans and garlic in clean glass jars.
2. In a saucepan, bring vinegar, salt, peppercorns, sugar, and chiles to a boil.
3. Carefully pour mixture into jars, secure lids, and let cool to room temperature.
4. Enjoy! These can keep for up to a month!