Preparation and Serving:
– Should be washed thoroughly in running water and swished in saline water for about 10-15 minutes in order to remove soil, dirt and any fungicide/insecticide residues
– Just before cooking, remove tough stems, and separate wilted leaves from healthy ones
– Kale greens can provide an intense addition to salads, particularly when combined with other such strongly flavoured ingredients as dry-roasted peanuts, soy sauce-roasted almonds, red capsicum flakes, or a sesame-based dressing.
– Flavor is noticeably reduced When combined with oils or lemon juice
– When baked or dehydrated, curly kale becomes similar to potato chips, kale chips can be seasoned with salt or other spices
– Can be mixed with mashed potatoes, used in soup or stew, can be boiled and served with a grain such as rice, can be braised and eaten alone or with other greens, can be used in juice and/or smoothies
Makes 1 serving
3/4 cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed
1 small stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup ice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Place the kale, celery, banana, apple juice, ice, and lemon juice in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and frothy.