– High nutritional contents of soluble and insoluble dietary fibre (produces healthful compounds in your body, prevents constipation), vitamin C (essential nutrient), and vitamin K (helps you to synthesize blood proteins, strengthens bones)
– Blackberry seeds contain oil rich in omega-3 and -6 fats as well as protein and dietary fibre
Whole Grain Blackberry Coffee Cake
Makes 1 loaf
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups blackberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Coat 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Combine ¼ cup all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar and butter in small bowl.
4. Mix with fork until crumbly; set aside.
5. Combine remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, milk, granulated sugar, oil, egg, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
6. Beat with mixer or whisk 1 to 2 minutes until well blended.
7. Fold in berries.
8. Spread batter in prepared pan.
9. Sprinkle evenly with reserved oat mixture.
10. Top with chopped walnuts.
11. Bake 38 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
12. Serve warm and enjoy!