– Low in calories
– High in dietary fibre
– Great source of vitamin K
– Celery seed has been used in pills for thousands of years to relieve pain
– Celery seed contains a compound that has been shown to lower blood pressure
– WARNING: Celery seeds and oil should be avoided during pregnancy as they can act as a uterine stimulant
– WARNING: Seeds intended for planting should not be eaten as they are often treated with fungicides
Cream of Celery Soup
Makes 4 servings
¼ cup butter
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cups very finely chopped celery (about 5 large stalks)
1 large clove garlic, minced
⅓ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1½ cups chicken broth
1½ cups whole milk (or use ¾ cup milk and ¾ cup cream for even tastier results)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
1. Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook the onions, celery and garlic until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the flour and cook for another minute.
3. Add the chicken broth and milk/cream and stir until the mixture is smooth.
4. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer.
5. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
6. Add salt to taste.