– The carrot gets its bright orange color from β-carotene, and lesser amounts of α-carotene, γ-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin
– α and β-carotenes are partly metabolized into vitamin A, providing more than 100% of the Daily Value (DV) per 100 g serving of carrots
– Carrots are also a good source of dietary fiber (11% DV), vitamin K (16% DV) and vitamin B6 (11% DV)
Makes 4 servings
1 pound carrots, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs or matzo meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the grated carrots, garlic, eggs, flour, bread crumbs, salt and black pepper; mix well.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
3. Make the mixture into patties, and fry until golden brown on each side.