– One portobello mushroom provides the same amount of potassium as a banana, a factor in maintaining healthy blood pressure
– Portobello mushrooms also provide 6% of daily fibre requirements per 100g
– 100g or 4-5 medium sized mushrooms contain 4 % of daily Vitamin D requirements
– Mushrooms are a significant source of riboflavin, niacin, pantothenate, copper, selenium and phosphorus
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
Makes 5 servings
– 5 portobello mushrooms
– 4 cherry or grape tomatoes
– 1 green pepper
– 1 red pepper
– Tomato sauce
– Fresh basil leaves
– Cheese (Grated mozzarella or cheese of choice)
– Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
– Line the baking tray with aluminum foil.
– Wash the mushrooms well, remove stems, and use a spoon to remove gills from the underside.
– Arrange the mushrooms in the pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
– They will create a lot of water, hence the need to bake before filling.
– Use paper towels to absorb any remaining water in the mushrooms.
– Line the mushroom with basil leaves, cover with a little tomato sauce, and arrange diced pepper cubes and cherry/grape tomatoes on top.
– Sprinkle with grated cheese, gratin/bake for about 10 minutes.
(Source: Recipe adapted from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Portobello-Mushroom-Pizza-897877?columns=3&position=42%2F56)