– Avocados are a fruit/large berry that grows on an avocado tree (Persea Americana)
– The avocado tree is a flowering tree with greenish-yellow flowers approximately 5 to 10 mm wide
– Avocado trees can grow as tall as 20 metres or 66 feet
– Avocado trees are best grown in sub-tropical or tropical climates that do not reach sub-zero temperatures, that are without frost and have very little wind
– Avocados are native to Central America and the earliest evidence of human avocado use dates back to approximately 10,000 BC in Coxcatlán, Puebla, Mexico
– The avocado was introduced to the US in the 1800s, but its production is largely limited to southern California due to the fact that avocados require a very specific climate to grow
– Michoacán, Mexico leads global avocado production and produces approximately 92% of Mexico’s avocados.
– The primary cultivar commercially grown in Mexico is the Hass cultivar, but other cultivars include Fuerte, Bacon, Criollor, Reed and Zutano
– Avocados are grown all year round in Mexico, meaning they are always in season
– However, the best quality avocados are grown between December and June
– Approximately 85% of Mexico’s avocado crop remains in the country while the rest is exported
– The majority of Mexican avocado exports go to the United States, but they also export to countries like Canada, Spain, France, Japan, Hong Kong and China
– 1/2 avocado, more if you prefer
– 1 small tomato of your choice, diced
– 1 green onion, sliced
– 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
– Seasonings of choice (Paprika, cumin, garlic powder, etc.)
– Salsa (optional)
– 1 large tortilla
1. Smash avocado and spread out on one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and any seasonings. Add tomato, green onions, and salsa. (Or save the salsa for dipping!)
2. Fold over the top half of the tortilla, and place on a skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
3. Heat for a few minutes on each side until warmed through.
Note: Ingredients for today’s recipe can be found at the Good Food Market at GBC (200 King Street East, main lobby every Thursday from 11:45am – 3:00pm)! Avocados ($0.75), Plum Tomatoes ($0.50), Green Onions ($0.50)
(Recipe adapted from http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2014/05/avocado-quesadillas-vegan.html)