– Avocados are a significant source of monounsaturated fat, associated with reducing LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and potentially helping to protect against coronary heart disease
– Avocados are very rich in vitamins, with 53% of daily Vitamin K values, 33% Vitamin C, 26% Vitamin B6, 21% Vitamin E among others.
– They are also very high in Potassium at 26% of daily values. 1 avocado contains more Potassium than 1 banana.
Chickpea Avocado Mash with Lemon
– 15 oz. can chickpeas
– 1 ripe avocado
– Juice from 1/2 lemon
– Salt/pepper to taste
– Optional toppings/add-ins: sprouts, tomato, spinach, green onion, etc.
1. Rinse and drain chickpeas and place in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher or a fork.
2. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop out the avocado and place in bowl.
3. Mash again to combine avocado with the chickpeas.
4. Add lemon juice and stir. Salt/pepper to taste if desired
Note: Ingredients from today’s recipe can be found at the Good Food Market at GBC (200 King Street East, main lobby every Thursday from 11:34am – 3:00pm)! Avocados ($0.75), Lemons ($0.40 each or 3 for $1.00), Plum tomatoes ($0.50), Spinach ($1.25 per bunch), Green onions ($0.50)
(Recipe taken from http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2014/03/chickpea-avocado-mash-with-lemon.html)