– Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamin A with 56% of daily values contained in 1 Cup
– Spinach is also a great source of Vitamin K with 181% of daily values contained in 1 Cup
– Spinach also contains significant amounts of Vitamin C, Manganese, Magnesium, Folate and Iron
Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta
Makes 4 servings
– 10 oz. spaghetti or fettuccine
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 avocado
– 1 cup fresh spinach
– 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
– 1/4 cup basil
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 3/4 to 1 cup pasta water
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. While pasta is cooking, add the rest of the ingredients to your blender and blend until it turns into a smooth sauce. Start with ¾ cup of pasta water and add more as needed to get the consistency you want.
3. Toss the pasta with the sauce in a bowl and serve immediately. This sauce is best served the day it is made, as it uses avocados which will turn a brownish colour.
Note: Ingredients for today’s recipe can be found at the Good Food Market at GBC St. James (200 King Street East, main lobby every Thursday 11:45 am to 3:00 pm)! Spinach ($1.25), Garlic ($0.50), Avocado ($0.75), Lemon ($0.40 each or 3 for $1.00)
(Recipe taken from http://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/creamy-avocado-spinach-pasta/)