- Curried Kale, Potato & Lentil Soup
- Shredded Red Cabbage, Carrot And Mint Salad
- Roasted Vegetables Burritos
- Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas
CURRIED KALE, POTATO & LENTIL SOUP
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 35 mins Total time: 45 mins Serves: 4-6
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil
- 1 cup (160 g) diced yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 whole (120 g) carrots, peeled and chopped
- Pinch sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (~2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 3 cups (450 g) diced potatoes (We used sweet potato and baby yellow potato)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (5 g) curry powder
- 5-6 cups (1200-1440 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (192 g) green lentils, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (240 g) chopped green or purple kale
For Serving (Optional)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lemon juice
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, and carrots. Season with a pinch each sea salt and black pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and potatoes and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown slightly, and then add curry powder. Stir to coat. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add 5 cups (1200 ml) vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Once at a low boil, add lentils, stir, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding coconut sugar for a little sweetness (optional), more curry powder for intense curry flavor, or sea salt and pepper for more balance. I added more of each.
- If the soup has thickened too much, add remaining 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth, stir, and cook until warmed through.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale and cover to steam until tender but still vibrant green – about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately as is or with cilantro and fresh lemon juice (optional).
SHREDDED RED CABBAGE, CARROT AND MINT SALAD
Prep time: 10 mins Total time:10 mins Serves: 4 as a side
- 4 cups finely shredded red/purple cabbage
- 1 carrot, julienned
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 600 ml vinegar
- Combine Salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Add Dressing ingredients, then toss to combine.
ROASTED VEGETABLES BURRITOS
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 35 mins Total time: 55 mins Serves: 8-10
- 6 medium yellow potatoes, unpeeled and sliced into ¾” to 1″ thick pieces
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced into ¾” – 1″ thick pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into ½” thick rounds
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchini, sliced into ¾” thick rounds
- 2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1.5 Tbsp garlic salt, or to taste
- Freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- Extra light olive oil, or avocado oil, or vegetable oil
- ½ cup shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- 1 can of black beans
- 8-10 wrap tortillas
- Preheat Oven to 450˚F with the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line baking pans with foil and generously grease with about 1 Tbsp olive oil in each pan.
- Start with the vegetables that take longer to bake: place potatoes, butternut squash, carrots and ½ of chopped garlic into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper and 1 Tbsp garlic salt, or to taste. Stir to coat the veggies evenly. Divide this mixture into your two prepared baking pans and roast uncovered at 450˚F for 10 minutes.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine remaining veggies: zucchini, bell pepper, remaining chopped garlic, 1 Tbsp olive oil, black pepper and ½ Tbsp garlic salt, or to taste and stir well to combine. Remove roasting pans from the oven and quickly place the mixed vegetables evenly over the top. Return to the oven and roast an additional 20-25 minutes or until potatoes and squash are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and place under the broiler for 1-2 min or until cheese melts.
- Drain beans and fry them with oil.
- Heat up tortillas, spread beans in the tortilla, fill it with the mix of vegetables and wrap it up to make the burrito.
PAN FRIED CINNAMON BANANAS
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 5 mins Total time: 10 mins Serves: 2
- 2 slightly overripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Olive oil spray
- Slice the bananas into rounds, approximately ⅓ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray. Warm over medium heat.
- Add the banana rounds and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking on the first side, sprinkle about ½ of the cinnamon mixture over the banana rounds.
- Flip the rounds, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon mixture, and cook about 2-3 more minutes, until the bananas are soft and warmed through.