Approximately 6 cups of kale. We used three heads.
Approximately 1/3 cup olive oil *enough to coat the kale.
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of paprika
1) Wash kale and dry kale. Make sure that your Kale is well dried, this will help the oil and spices adhere to the leaves.
2) Tear the kale into bite size pieces. Leave out the spines and stems.
3) Arrange the kale in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet
4) Bake in 350c oven until crisp and dark green, 12-15 minutes.
Borsht (Beet Soup)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups steamed cubed beets, 1/2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1) Wash beets and place them in a pot of boiling water. Cook until beets are tender enough to insert a fork. Fill a bowl or sink with cold water. When beets are soft plunge them into the cold water. When the beets are just cool enough to handle cup them in your hands and use your thumbs to peel off the skins.
2) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add broth, potato, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potato is just tender, about 8 minutes. Add beets and vinegar; return to a boil.
3) Cover and continue cooking until the broth is deep red and the potato is very soft, 2 to 3 minutes more.
4) Serve the soup with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkle of parsley.
Apple Raspberry Crumble with Oat-Walnut Topping
For the Topping:
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the baking dish
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the Filling:
3 pounds baking apples (such as Macintosh or Cortland)
2 cups raspberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a shallow baking dish.
2) Make the topping: Whisk the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in the walnuts. Work in the butter with your fingers until evenly moistened.
3) Make the filling: Peel the apples and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Toss with the raspberries, granulated sugar, flour, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
4) Transfer the filling to the prepared dish or ramekins and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Squeeze handfuls of the crumble mixture and scatter on top of the fruit. Bake until golden and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.
5) Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.