Start with a variety of mushrooms. We used Cremini, portobello and white. Feel free to use any combination. We used approximately:
– 10-12 brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
– 3-4 portobellos, thinly sliced
– 1 12 oz package of white mushrooms.
– 1 onion, minced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– olive oil
– vegetable stock (cubes)
– 1 tbsp sesame oil
– 3 bunches green onion, chopped
– 1-2 carrots, grated
We distributed the ingredients due to space constrictions but this could be made in one large pot.
1. Wet a paper towel and brush the outside of the mushrooms to clean. Thinly slice cremini and white mushrooms. For portobellos, remove stems and thinly chop the caps. Try and make evenly sized pieces.
2. Mince one onion and 4 cloves of garlic
3. Coat the bottom of a pot with olive oil. Add minced onions and garlic to the pot and sautee until onions are turning clear. Approximately 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the onion and garlic and continue to satay on medium heat.
4. Prepare vegetable stock from cubes. Follow instructions on stock package.
5. Add stock to mushrooms and onions and bring to a boil; let simmer for 10-15 minutes with lids on.
6. Add approx. 1 Tbsp of sesame oil and garnish soup with chopped green onions and grated carrots. 2 bunches on green onions and 1-2 grated carrots.
Kale Salad with Toasted Pecans and Raisins
– 3 regular sized bunches of Kale
– 1 cup pecans, toasted
– 1 medium sized bag of raisins
– 2/3 cup olive oil
– 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
– Brown sugar/honey (1-3tbsp or to taste)
– Salt (1-2tsp or to taste)
– Oregano (pinch or to taste)
Direction for Kale: Wash kale and remove stems and spines. This is easy to do by tearing with your hands. In a bowl of salted water massage the kale to soften it. The salt in the water helps to break down the kale making it softer and easier to eat.
Directions for Pecans: Mix pecans with approximately 1/4 brown sugar or honey and toast them on a baking sheet at 350 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to check and stir ever 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle a tiny bit of water on to aid in caramelizing if necessary. Nuts are ready when they are golden brown and aromatic.
Directions for Dressing: For this salad we used one cup of dressing. Portions can be adjusted easily for taste and quantity. We used:
– 2/3 of a cup of olive oil
– 1/3 of a cup balsamic vinegar
– Salt, pepper, sugar to taste.
When ready to serve toss salad with dressing nuts and raisins.
Tomato Pasta Sauce
– 40 plum tomatoes
– 2 onions
– 1 head of garlic
Portions can be reduced as needed
1. Boil a pot of water and place on the stove. Fill a second bowl with cold water and ice and set it aside.
2. With a knife, score a small x into the bottom of each tomato. Drop tomatoes into pot of boiling water for approximately 30 seconds or until the skin begins to peel. Remove tomatoes and place in second bowl of cold water. Allow the tomatoes to cool for at least five minutes. Using a knife or your fingers pull back the skin of each tomato. It should peel off easily now. Cut the tomato into quarters and scoop out and discard seeds. Chop the tomato into small cubes and set aside.
3. Mince 2 onions and 4 cloves of garlic. Garlic can be grated to make it extra thin.
4. Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and sautee onions and garlic until onions are soft and turning clear. Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and simmer on low. Sauce can simmer for a long time. The longer it simmers the more flavourful it will become!
5. Add salt pepper and oregano to taste. Finish with a dash of balsamic vinegar
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 tsp. baking soda
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
– 4 eggs
– 1 1/4 cups oil
– 1 cup granulated white sugar
– 1 cup packed brown sugar
– 2 tsp. vanilla
– 3 cups grated carrots
– 1 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts) (optional)
– 1 cup raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare two 9” pans or one 12” cake pan or one 9”x 13” sheet pan by lining with parchment or wax paper.
2. Mix together in a bowl together flour,baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a bigger bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla for about minute or so.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix for about 2 minutes more.
5. Add the grated carrots. Then add nuts and raisins if desired.
6. Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 45 to 50 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer, it should be dry when taken out. Allow to cool before eating.
See you next time!