Preparation and Serving:
– Beet greens should be washed thoroughly in running water and rinsed in order to remove soil, dirt, and insecticide residue
– Beetroot should be gently scrubbed and washed under running water, then the outer layer should be peeled off
– Can be grilled, boiled, roasted, steamed, eaten raw, added to salad, pickled
– Beet greens can be boiled or steamed and are similar to spinach
Dark Chocolate Beet Brownies
Makes 9×13 baking pan of brownies
2 large beets, peeled
3 large eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips, at least 60% cacao
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, cover the beets with water by an inch.
3. Place the pot over medium high heat and bring the water to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the beets until they are soft enough to easily be pierced through the center with a knife, about 25 minutes.
5. Drain the beets and puree them. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of water to the beets to get them to puree smoothly, add only what you need.
6. Set the beet puree aside to cool.
7. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, and sugars.
8. Add the vanilla extract and beet puree and whisk to fully combine.
9. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients.
10. Stir in the chocolate chips.
11. Pour the batter into a 9×13 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with foil or parchment.
12. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean but still moist.
13. Cool the brownies completely before cutting.