We finish off this week with some steak.
For the steak:
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak tips, flap meat, or flank steak, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the mushrooms:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)
Marinate the steak: Place the steak in a single layer in a 9×13-inch baking dish or in a resealable gallon plastic bag; set aside. Whisk the remaining ingredients in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the steak and turn the steak to coat. Cover the baking dish or seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Cook the steak and mushrooms: Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. While the oil is heating, remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Add the steak pieces to the pan (it’s okay to crowd the pan as long as they’re in a single layer) and sear until browned and the thickest piece registers 120°F to 125°F for medium-rare steak, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. (Or cook to 130°F to 135°F for medium steak, and 140°F to 145°F for medium-well steak — add a minute or two for every 10 degrees needed.) Transfer to a serving platter and set aside in a warm place or cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if needed, until tender, about 5 minutes — they will release a lot of liquid. Add the vinegar and simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the butter, and stir until melted and the sauce in the pan is glossy. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Pour over the steak, top with the parsley if desired, and serve.
Recipe from: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-easy-balsamic-glazed-steak-tips-and-mushrooms-249798?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=managed&utm_content=custompinrecipe&crlt.pid=camp.MkrSsyM5staX
ONE POT PAD THAI NOODLES RECIPE
We finish off this week with some pod Thai.
- First dice tofu, garlic, and green onions. Add them to a saute’ pan along with sesame oil. Sauté on med-high heat until tofu slightly starts to turn a golden color.
- Add in noodles,half of your peanuts, sriracha sauce, brown sugar, water, and soy sauce. Stir and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in carrots and bean sprouts, cover your pan, and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Give it a final few stirs, remove from heat, and plate. Top with Lime, green onions and the other half of the peanuts.
Recipe thanks to: https://aprilgolightly.com/one-pot-pad-thai-recipe/
Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole
This week we finish off with a meatloaf. It might be on the longer side of recipes here, but it is very filling.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 4 oz pkg garlic flavoured instant mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups marble cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a medium saucepan
bring water and milk to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in instant mashed potato
powder. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl
combine ground beef, onions, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce using your hands.
Add bread crumbs
and egg to the meat mixture and continue mixing it with your hands.
Press the meat mixture evenly into an 8 inch square baking dish
Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat using a rubber spatula
Sprinkle the grated cheese on top followed by the bacon bits.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil
and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe thanks to: https://www.thisisnotdietfood.com/loaded-potato-meatloaf-casserole/
Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce
This week we have some fried pickles to end on.
For the Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles:
- 16 ounce dill pickle slices, drained
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely shredded reduced fat pepper jack cheese (or habanero cheddar)
- Cooking oil spray
For the Garlic Sauce:
- 1 cup low fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Then spray the parchment with cooking spray.
- Prep three bowls: one with flour, one with whisked egg and milk, and one with panko and finely shredded cheese mixed together. Drain the pickles then lay them out on a paper towel lined plate. Press the pickles with another paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Toss the pickles in the flour to thoroughly coat. Shake off the excess. Then dip the pickles in egg wash, followed by the panko mixture. Lay the triple-dipped pickles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all the pickles are coated in panko, spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- While the pickles are baking, mix the garlic sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then taste, and salt and pepper as needed. Serve the pickles warm, with a side of garlic sauce (or ranch dressing!)
Recipe provided by: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/oven-baked-fried-pickles-garlic-sauce/
SLOW COOKER SKINNY VEGETARIAN CHILI
We end this week with a vegetarian chili.
- 2 15oz cans Organic Red Kidney Beans drained (you can use light or dark)
- 1 15oz can Organic Black Beans drained
- 2 14.5 oz cans Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatos
- 1 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup frozen Organic Corn (You can also use canned)
- 3 cloves minced Organic Garlic (about 1 Tbs)
- ½ Organic Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 3-4 Tbs Chili Powder (Start with 3 and add more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt (add more to taste if needed)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper (add more to taste if needed)
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours).
- Top with your favorite toppings, Avocados, Cilantro, Cheese, Sour Cream, etc.
Recipe from: http://tastefulventure.com/slow-cooker-skinny-vegetarian-chili/
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
This week we end with a nice vegetarian stew.
1/2 cup Yellow onion, small
1. Spray a heavy bottom deep pan with cooking oil spray. Add onion, garlic, oregano, tomato
paste with pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes or until onion are translucent.. Stir well so that
garlic does not burn.
2. Add tomato and basil, then saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Add cabbage, mix frozen/fresh vegetables, water (or vegetable broth if using), generous pinch
of salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
4. Once cabbage and other veggies are tender. Switch off heat. Stir in lemon juice and fresh
chopped parsley. Taste then adjust salt and black pepper. Serve hot. **Follow instructions below
to portion soup for cabbage soup diet plan.
Learn more at: https://www.chefdehome.com/recipes/664/vegetarian-cabbage-soup
CREAMY CHICKEN PASTA WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND MOZZARELLA SAUCE
Today we have a chicken pasta!
3 garlic cloves
4 oz sun-dried tomatoes
1 lb chicken breast tenderloins
1 cup half and half
1 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
8 oz penne pasta
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- First, you sautee garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in the olive oil that comes from the jar with sun-dried tomatoes – you do it on high heat so that tomatoes get nicely charred. Then, you remove the tomatoes, and sautee chicken (salted and lightly covered in paprika, for color) on high heat. What you get are nicely charred sun-dried tomatoes and stove-top roasted chicken:
- To that, you add half and half and mozzarella cheese, bring the mixture to boil, then simmer and stir to melt the cheese and form a creamy pasta sauce. Make sure to reserve some pasta water as you will DEFINITELY need it to add to the cream sauce for chicken to make it less thick and more smooth:
- Final step is to add spices just enough for your taste: basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt. This creamy chicken pasta has so much flavor from the sun-dried tomato and Mozzarella sauce with all the basil in it, too. Feel free to add more spices to make this cream sauce for chicken even more flavorful!
POLISH-STYLE BEET SOUP
This week we end with a nice beet soup.
- 6 medium beets, scrubbed, divided
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Large pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wrap 3 of the beets in foil and place on a small baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool, then unwrap beets and rub off skins with a paper towel. Halve and thinly slice.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop remaining 3 beets and place in a large saucepan. Add broth, onion and caraway seeds. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 50 minutes, or until broth is deeply colored and beets are very tender. Strain broth and discard solids. Wipe out the pan, then return broth to the pan.
Add reserved sliced beets to the pan and stir in vinegar, salt and sugar. Reheat if necessary and serve sprinkled with dill and chives.
Recipe from: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/polish-style-beet-soup?crlt_pid=camp.PvnOkOZ28tNS
ROASTED GARLIC ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOMS
Here we have a nice healthy dinner side.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 5 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Wash and prepare the vegetables. Cut off woody ends of the asparagus and cut into 2 inch pieces. Add to a medium-sized roasting pan.
- Slice mushrooms and add to pan.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 35 minutes.
Provided by: https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2015/12/roasted-garlic-asparagus-and-mushrooms/