This months supper club we had a variety of different dishes. There was a Warm Cauliflower Salad, and a Hearty Potato, Kale and Mushroom Soup. The main course was a Middle Eastern Rice (Mejadra) with turkey, and roasted vegetables. Followed by a desert of Apple Pie Bread. It was a great meal, and thank you to everyone who came.
Warm Cauliflower Salad
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 bunch of green onions
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces
- Coat with olive oil and roast on baking sheet at 400F until brown
- Sautee the onion (minced), the mushrooms (minced) and the yellow pepper (minced)
- Mix the olive oil, brown sugar, vinegar, season with cumin (to taste) and the orange juice
- Cut the green onions into small pieces
- Mix everything together and top with green onions
Hearty Potato, Kale and Mushroom Soup
- 1 Onion
- Boil the stock (follow instructions on package). We made approx. 8 cups of stock
- Add cubed potatoes and finely diced kale. Allow to cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- In the meantime, sauté 1 onion, diced and some mushrooms, sliced. We used shitake mushrooms.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pot when the potatoes and kale are cooked.
Middle Eastern Rice (Mejadra)
(With Turkey and roasted Vegetables)
Vegan, Gluten free
∙ Serves 4
- 400 g Brown lentils, canned
- 3 Large or 4 small onions
Pasta & Grains:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
Baking & Spices:
- 1 Black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric, ground
Oils & Vinegars:
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Vegetable or sunflower oil
Nuts & Seeds:
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add about 1/3 of the onions and cook for 5 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining onions, in two batches.
- Put the olive oil, cumin seeds and coriander in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil and spices.
- Add the water and lentils.
- While it comes to boil, add all the other spices, salt and pepper.
- When it comes to a boil, turn it down to medium-low, cover with lid and let cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until all the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 10 minutes – during this time, any residual liquid will absorb.
- Fluff rice with a from and adjust the seasoning with more salt if you wish.
- Just prior to serving, stir through most of the onions and top with remainder. Sprinkle with chopped coriander if desired. Best served warm.
Apple Pie Bread
∙ Serves 8
- 1 1/4 cup Apples
- 2 Eggs, large
Baking & Spices:
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray a large loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray (the kind with flour in it – like Baker’s Joy.) In a bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with an electric mixer), mix together sugar and butter until smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until fully combined. Finally, stir in flour and baking powder and milk. Mix until combined. Pour half the batter into prepared loaf pan. Cover batter with half the diced apples. Press the apples down slightly into the batter.
- Sprinkle the apples with half the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter over the apple layer.
- Top with remaining diced apples (again, pushing the apples gently into the batter.)
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes (until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.)
- Allow to cool completely before removing from baking pan.