1) Peel and roughly slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and slice the garlic. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add a couple of lugs of olive oil. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
2) Cook for around 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
3) Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.5 litres of boiling water from the kettle. Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the pan with your tinned and fresh whole tomatoes. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Meanwhile, pick your basil leaves.
4) Remove the pan from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves. Blend until smooth in a blender or with an immersion blender.
Spinach and Romaine Salad with Citrus and Honey Dressing
This recipe feeds 10. You can adjust the portions to suit you.
2-3 heads of iceberg lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
1/2 bunch of green onions
Approximately 2-3 handfuls of snap peas
2 large carrots
1/4 cup of honey
salt and pepper
To make the salad:
1) Wash all vegetables in cold water
2) Tear up lettuce and spinach into bite sized pieces and mix together in a bowl
3) Shred carrots, finely chop green onions and toss in with the greens.
1) Roll lemons and limes to soften and make easier to juice
2) Juice two lemons and two limes into a measuring cup
3) Add approximately 1/4 cup of honey and approximately 1/2 cup of oil and stir
4) Add salt and more honey to taste.
Grilled Vegetable Wraps With White Beans and Feta Cheese
1 head of garlic
2 packages cherry tomatoes
1 bag of whole carrots
1-2 Cans of beans (any type).
salt and pepper
1 package of flour tortillas
*For our burritos we used a peach chutney made by the GBC culinary students. Feel free to get creative with yours and add a dressing or spread on the inside!
To make the wraps:
1) Begin by roasting the garlic. Cut off the top of the head of garlic and drizzle to top with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in tinfoil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350c.
2) Wash and peel carrots. Cut them into long thin strips.
3) When finished, put all the carrot sticks in a bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are soft but not mushy.
4) Satay beans in a pan with salt and pepper until hot.
5) Spread beans on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. This is to dry out the beans a bit.
6) Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
7) Heat tortillas until soft in a pan or flat top.
8) Spread ingredients evenly inside. Roll. Cut each wrap in half and serve.
Carrot Cake Mix Made by the GFM
For dessert we made a carrot cake from a mix made (from scratch) by one of the placement students running the Good Food Market. She is working on creating easy mixes that customers can purchase at the weekly market. They will be available in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!