- 1 Large Eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-2cm slices
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 3 Cups pasta sauce
- 1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle generously with salt. Continue layering and salting the remaining eggplant slices. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes rinse the eggplants slices and pat dry.
- Dip each eggplant slice in beaten agg followed by the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry breaded eggplant slices over medium heat for approximately 2 minutes per side or until they are golden brown. Plce fried slices on absorbet paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of a baking dish. Spread half the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan. Repeat with remaining eggplants.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is bubbly on top.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 8 Red bell peppers
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds, stem and membrane.
- Place peppers skin sides up on a foil lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 15 minutes or until blackened.
- Place in a zip-lock plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and chop. This process will help to loosen the peels.
- Heat a pot with some oil to medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 15 minutes or until onions are lightly browned.
- Combine cooked onions, bell peppers, thyme, bay leaves, pepper, broth, vinegar and tabasco. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer fr 20 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender or portion into a standing blender.
- Serve blended soup with chopped chives.
Apple and Ricotta Cheese Puff Pastry
- 10 apples
- 1 package of Presidents Choice puff pastry
- 1 jar of red pepper jelly
- 1 package of ricotta cheese
- Brown Sugar
- 8-10 Mini pie tins
- Core apples and slice very thin. Soak in warm water until slices are soft and bendable.
- Mix approximately 1 cup ricotta cheese with cinnamon and sugar to taste.
- Lay out pastry sheets and sprinkle with flour.
- On each sheet of pastry spread a layer of ricotta cheese mixture followed by a leyer of red pepper jelly. Arrange the apples vertically along the top of the pastry.
- Gently roll up each pastry and tuck into greased mini pie tins.
- Bake at 350c for approximately 20 minutes or until the pastry is puffy and golden brown.