We finish off this week with some steak.
For the steak:
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak tips, flap meat, or flank steak, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the mushrooms:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)
Marinate the steak: Place the steak in a single layer in a 9×13-inch baking dish or in a resealable gallon plastic bag; set aside. Whisk the remaining ingredients in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the steak and turn the steak to coat. Cover the baking dish or seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Cook the steak and mushrooms: Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. While the oil is heating, remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Add the steak pieces to the pan (it’s okay to crowd the pan as long as they’re in a single layer) and sear until browned and the thickest piece registers 120°F to 125°F for medium-rare steak, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. (Or cook to 130°F to 135°F for medium steak, and 140°F to 145°F for medium-well steak — add a minute or two for every 10 degrees needed.) Transfer to a serving platter and set aside in a warm place or cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if needed, until tender, about 5 minutes — they will release a lot of liquid. Add the vinegar and simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the butter, and stir until melted and the sauce in the pan is glossy. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Pour over the steak, top with the parsley if desired, and serve.
Recipe from: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-easy-balsamic-glazed-steak-tips-and-mushrooms-249798?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=managed&utm_content=custompinrecipe&crlt.pid=camp.MkrSsyM5staX
EASY CRISPY MONGOLIAN BEEF
This week we have a Mongolian beef recipe to try out.
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin/beef chuck, cut into strips
- ½ cup cornstarch/cornflour
- oil, for deep frying
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce (optional)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch, diluted in 3 tsp water
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- ½ cup green onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Start off by tossing the beef strips in cornstarch. Make sure the strips are coated evenly with cornstarch.
- Deep fry the beef strips for 4-5 mins, drain the oil and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil on high heat setting. Quickly add in the ginger and garlic. Stir quickly for 10 seconds. Immediately add in the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar and hoisin sauce. Bring the sauce to a quick boil.
- Add in the brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly.
- Now add in the beef strips and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe from: http://www.scrambledchefs.com/easy-crispy-mongolian-beef-recipe/
KETO EGG SALAD
This week we have an egg salad.
- 1 Avocado, medium
- 6 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- Splash of lemon juice (to prevent avocado browning)
- 1/8 Tsp Dill (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cover the eggs with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn heat off, cover and rest in hot water for 10-15 minutes. (more or less based on preference)
- Run under cold water and peel shells
- Chop the eggs into small pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper, set aside
- Mash avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- In medium bowl, mix mayo, eggs, mashed avocado, mustard, lemon juice and choice of herbs
- Chill and serve
Recipe from: https://www.heyketomama.com/easy-keto-egg-salad/
Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
This week we start off with some more blueberry’s in this oatmeal crumble recipe.
Crust and Crumble Topping
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned whole-rolled oats (don’t use quick cook or instant, they’re finer and behave like flour and will make mixture too dry)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
pinch salt, optional and to taste
12 ounces (2 cups) blueberries (fresh or frozen; I used frozen and didn’t thaw)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside. Lining the pan helps with cleanup and is recommended.
- Crust and Crumble Topping – In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Add the flour, oats, sugars, optional salt, and stir to combine. Mixture will be dry and sandy with some larger, well-formed crumble pieces.
- Set 1 heaping cup mixture aside to be sprinkled on later as crumble topping.
- Transfer remaining mixture to prepared pan, and using a spatula or your fingers, hard-pack the mixture to create an even, smooth, flat crust; set aside.
- Blueberry Layer – In a large mixing bowl (same one used for crust and crumble is okay), add all ingredients and toss to combine. If sugar hasn’t dissolved fully that’s okay because it liquifies while baking.
- Evenly distribute blueberry mixture over the crust.
- Evenly sprinkle with the reserved heaping 1 cup crumble topping mixture. Before sprinkling, I squeeze the mixture in my palm to encourage bigger crumble pieces to form.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until edges are set and center has just set. Crumble topping should appear set and very pale golden. I used frozen berries without thawing and the pan was very cold going into the oven. If using fresh berries, baking time will be reduced, but I’m not sure by how much, I’d guess at least 10-15 minutes, possibly less. Bars may take longer than 55 minutes if blueberries are very juicy. Watch your bars, not the clock, when evaluating doneness. Place pan on a wire rack and allow bars to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. If you try to slice bars before they’ve cooled completely, they’ll be extremely messy and could fall apart. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, in the fridge for up to 10 days, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe thanks to: https://www.averiecooks.com/blueberry-oatmeal-crumble-bars/#
ONE POT PAD THAI NOODLES RECIPE
We finish off this week with some pod Thai.
- First dice tofu, garlic, and green onions. Add them to a saute’ pan along with sesame oil. Sauté on med-high heat until tofu slightly starts to turn a golden color.
- Add in noodles,half of your peanuts, sriracha sauce, brown sugar, water, and soy sauce. Stir and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in carrots and bean sprouts, cover your pan, and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Give it a final few stirs, remove from heat, and plate. Top with Lime, green onions and the other half of the peanuts.
Recipe thanks to: https://aprilgolightly.com/one-pot-pad-thai-recipe/
PINEAPPLE BANANA SMOOTHIE
We end this week with a nice simple smoothie made from pineapples, and bananas.
- 1 cup pineapple (cut into chunks) (200g)
- 1 banana (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 cup almond milk (240ml)
Combine pineapple, banana, and almond milk in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Remove and serve immediately.
Recipe from: https://www.rotinrice.com/pineapple-banana-smoothie/
Chicken Chow Mein
Today we are trying something new with some chi ken chow mein.
Prepare noodles according to directions on package. In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil, set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and celery and cook until chicken is halfway cooked through, about 4 minutes (outsides should be white). Add cabbage, carrots, green onions, and ginger and saute until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last minute of cooking.
Toss in pasta, then pour soy sauce mixture over top and toss to coat. Serve warm.
Recipe from: https://www.cookingclassy.com/chicken-chow-mein/
BROCCOLI PINEAPPLE SALAD
Today we a pineapple salad with cucumbers!
6 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, onion, grapes, pineapple, pecans and bacon.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Spoon the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss gently until evenly coated.
Recipe thanks to: http://www.plainchicken.com/2017/03/broccoli-pineapple-salad.html
Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
We start off the week with some nice egg muffins!
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Crumbled cotija or feta cheese, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, nonfat milk and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and onions.
Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin pan cups and bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan then use a knife to loosen the muffins from the cups.
Top each muffin with sliced avocado, a dollop of salsa and a sprinkling of cheese then serve.
Recipe from: https://www.justataste.com/healthy-breakfast-egg-muffins-recipe/
Loaded Potato Meatloaf Casserole
This week we finish off with a meatloaf. It might be on the longer side of recipes here, but it is very filling.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 4 oz pkg garlic flavoured instant mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups marble cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a medium saucepan
bring water and milk to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in instant mashed potato
powder. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl
combine ground beef, onions, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce using your hands.
Add bread crumbs
and egg to the meat mixture and continue mixing it with your hands.
Press the meat mixture evenly into an 8 inch square baking dish
Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat using a rubber spatula
Sprinkle the grated cheese on top followed by the bacon bits.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil
and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe thanks to: https://www.thisisnotdietfood.com/loaded-potato-meatloaf-casserole/