Photos by MV
Soup – Squash & Carrot Soup
Photo by MV
- 1 Butternut squash
- 2 Acorn squash
- 2-3 carrot sticks
- 1 Onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Water or broth
- Optional: Lemon juice
- Roughly chop the onion & garlic
- Peel and cube the squash and carrot
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a pot with olive oil until fragrant
- Add the squash (and lemon juice if desired) to the pot and continue to sauté until squash is lightly browned
- Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- Add ____ cups broth (or water) and let simmer until squash is tender
- When squash is tender (a knife can easily go through a cube), blend.
Salad – Apple & Blackberry Kale Salad
Photo by MV
- 3 bunches kale
- 6 small market apples
- 2 6oz packages of blackberries
- Orange juice
- Olive Oil
- White balsamic vinegar
- Optional: fresh mint
- Wash & dry kale, then cut into ribbons and put in a large bowl
- Cut apples into thin sticks, set aside
- Cut blackberries into discs (or as desired), set aside
- For the dressing:
- Juice 1 orange – don’t be afraid to leave in any of the pulp.
- Combine orange juice with olive oil, honey, white balsamic vinegar
- Add the dressing to the kale and mix well
- Mix in the apple and blackberries, then serve with an optional fresh mint garnish
Main – Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
Photo by MV
[By: The Awesome Green]
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 carrot, cut in small cubes
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh juice from one lemon
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
- Boil the sweet potato cubes in salty water until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain well, transfer to a bowl, mash with a fork, add the olive oil, crushed garlic and a pinch of sea salt, and mix to obtain a chunky puree. Set aside.
- Heat the oven at 175°C/347°F.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the lentils, the bay leaf, thyme, tomato sauce, water and lemon juice, bring to boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, until the lentils are almost cooked and the liquid thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf and thyme, and transfer to a baking dish.
- Spread the sweet potato mash on top, drizzle with olive oil and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley leaves.
Dessert – Zucchini Bread
[By: Clean Eating with Kids]
- 2 Cups of grated zucchini (Don’t squeeze out excess water)
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- Juice of 1 orange (around 150ml)
- ½ cup melted butter (or mild tasting oil)
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- ½ cup of warm water (only slightly warm – body temp kind of warm)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated.
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the honey, orange juice, water and warm butter together.
- Add the eggs and then slowly fold in the flour and Parmesan.
- Stir in the grated Zucchini until well blended together.
- Spoon into a well-oiled loaf tray and pop it the oven for 40 minutes on 170°C or 320°F.
- Check to see that the loaf is cooked by inserting a sharp knife into the middle. If it comes out clean, then it’s cooked. Otherwise, leave in for 5 min extra.
See you next time!
Photo by MV