Teriyaki Grilled Chicken and Veggie Rice Bowls
This dinner is a Teriyaki dish is another international dishes. We finish off the week with a nice looking, and healthy meal for supper that can make multiple servings.
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic , minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Chicken, veggies and rice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil , divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 lbs bonless skinless chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini , diced into half moons and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups white or brown rice , cooked according to directions on package (I prefer short grain brown rice)
- Sesame seeds , optional
- For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat. Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 Tbsp water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, set aside.
- For the chicken:
- Brush both sides of chicken with 1 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil and season pepper (you won’t need salt since the teriyaki sauce is plenty salty). Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (to about 425 – 450 degrees). Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until center registers 160 – 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes then dice into cubes.
- For the veggies:
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, broccoli and carrots and saute 4 – 5 minutes until crisp tender.
- To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice into 4 bowls then top each with 1/4 of the chicken and 1/4 of the veggies. Drizzle desired amount of teriyaki sauce over tops (you’ll have extra left over – use it for chicken or salmon the next day), sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
Find out more at: https://www.cookingclassy.com/teriyaki-grilled-chicken-and-veggie-rice-bowls/