Beef and Broccoli Lunch Boxes
Today we have a broccoli dish for lunch.
- 3/4 pound flank steak or sirloin, trimmed of fat, very thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- water for blanching broccoli (omit if not blanching)
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets about 1 head
For the beef marinade
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot or tapioca starch for paleo
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari tamari if necessary or coconut aminos for a paleo version
- 1/4 teaspoon dark soy sauce optional for color & extra flavor(leave out for gluten free or paleo version)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce or vegetarian flavored oyster sauce, leave out for paleo version
- 1 1/2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari, gluten-free if necessary or coconut aminos for a paleo version
- 1/4 teaspoon dark soy sauce optional but recommended
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar or 1 teaspoon raw honey for paleo
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mirin Chinese cooking wine or Dry Sherry (omit for paleo version)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot or tapioca starch for paleo
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup cold water or sodium free chicken broth for extra flavor, plus more as needed to thin out the sauce
Marinate the beef: In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile blanch the broccoli: (skip if not blanching) In a large non-stick saute pan or wok on high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook for about 30 seconds. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
Make the sauce: Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat cooking oil over high heat, for about 2 minutes – using the same non-stick pan or wok you used for your broccoli. The pan needs to be hot enough that you start seeing a little bit of smoke rising.
Quickly add the beef to the smoking pan and spread the pieces out to a single layer allowing them to sear and brown. Add the garlic and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink (about 1-2 minutes making sure not to over cook). Pour in the sauce, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and thickens – about 30 seconds. Add more water if needed to thin out sauce. Quickly stir in the the broccoli and toss everything together to coat well. Salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired. Serve hot over rice or noodles.
For meal prep:Divide evenly into lunch containers with your favorite carb – rice, quinoa or noodles
Recipe from: https://lifemadesweeter.com/beef-and-broccoli/
CREAMY FRUIT SALAD
This week is a creamy fruit Salad.
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zestoptional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lb fresh strawberrieshulled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup mandarin orangesoptional (see note)
- 3 kiwi sliced, optional (see note)
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks optional (see note)
- 1 cup red grapes
In a medium skillet, whisk together milk, sugar and corn starch. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 8-10 minutes (it won’t be thick like pudding, it is a dressing — but it will thicken considerably).
Stir in lemon zest (if using) and vanilla. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl combine strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, oranges, kiwi, pineapple and grapes. Pour dressing over and toss to coat (be gentle — you don’t want mush!).
Serve at room temperature or chill to serve later. If making ahead, I prefer not to add the dressing until 3-4 hours or less before serving.
Recipe Thanks to: https://www.thereciperebel.com/creamy-fruit-salad-recipe-with-homemade-vanilla-dressing-video/
Breakfast in a Blanket
Today we ave some nice filling breakfast blankets to start your day off.
8 large eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 tube crescent rolls
4 slices cooked bacon, halved
2 c. shredded Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375º. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add eggs and chives and scramble as desired.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out Crescent Rolls. Top with cooked bacon, scrambled eggs, and cheese.
- Roll up and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until deeply golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe from: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50205/breakfast-in-a-blanket-recipe/
SLOW COOKER SKINNY VEGETARIAN CHILI
We end this week with a vegetarian chili.
- 2 15oz cans Organic Red Kidney Beans drained (you can use light or dark)
- 1 15oz can Organic Black Beans drained
- 2 14.5 oz cans Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatos
- 1 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup frozen Organic Corn (You can also use canned)
- 3 cloves minced Organic Garlic (about 1 Tbs)
- ½ Organic Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 3-4 Tbs Chili Powder (Start with 3 and add more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt (add more to taste if needed)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper (add more to taste if needed)
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours).
- Top with your favorite toppings, Avocados, Cilantro, Cheese, Sour Cream, etc.
Recipe from: http://tastefulventure.com/slow-cooker-skinny-vegetarian-chili/
Apple Pie Chia Pudding
We have a nice pudding for this week.
- 260 ml almond milk
- 1 green apple
- 2 pitted dates
- 3 Tbs chia seed30gms
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 slices apple pie applesunsweetened
- 6 Tbs Granola
Quarter the apple and remove the seeds.
Add the milk, apple, dates, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla to a blender and liquify.
Stir the chia seeds through the apple mixture by hand.
Pour the pudding into 4 small glasses.
Refrigerate the pudding for at least one hour or overnight.
OPTIONAL TOPPING TO SERVE
Add two slices of apple to the top of the pudding glasses and sprinkle with 1 1/2 Tbs of granola.
Recipe from: https://www.gourmetgetaways.com.au/apple-pie-chia-pudding-super-food-breakfast/
Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wrap
This week we have a zucchini wrap for a nice healthy lunch.
- 1 zucchini, ends removed and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tomato, sliced or handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/8 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup kale, tough stems removed
- 2 slices white cheddar or chipotle gouda cheese
- 2 large Udi’s gluten free tortillas
- 4 tablespoons hummus
- Heat a skillet or grill to medium heat.
- Remove the ends from the zucchini and slice length wise into strips. Toss sliced zucchini in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place sliced zucchini directly on grill and let cook for 3 minutes, turn and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Set zucchini aside.
- Place the tortillas on grill for approximately one minute, or just until grill marks are visible and tortillas are pliable.
- Remove tortillas from grill and assemble wraps, 2 tablespoons of hummus, one slice of cheese, zucchini slices, 1/2 cup kale, onion and tomato slices.
Recipe by: http://www.maebells.com/grilled-zucchini-hummus-wrap/?utm_content=buffer1604d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=budgetbytesbuffer
RASPBERRY WALNUT SPINACH SALAD
Today we have a salad made with raspberry, and walnuts.
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 4 cups of romaine, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of walnuts, roasted and chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup honey, sugar or the equivalent of stevia
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of grated onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracker black pepper
- 1 cup raspberries
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 Tablespoons mayonaise
- Wash and drain the raspberries in a large colander. Allow them to dry on a clean towel.
- Preheat oven to 350˚degrees. Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake 8-10 minutes, watching carefully.
- While the walnuts are roasting, slice up the red onion, wash and spin the spinach and romaine, and crumble the feta cheese.
- Combine the white wine vinegar, honey, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and berries in the jar of a blender. Process until smooth and then with the motor running add the oil in a steady stream. Add the mayonnaise and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Recipe comes from: http://cheerykitchen.com/raspberry-walnut-spinach-salad/
Raspberry Peach Smoothie
This week we start off with a nice fruit smoothie.
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- ¾ cup chopped fresh peaches
- ¼ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup vanilla almond milk
- STEP 1: Place all ingredients into blender (liquid ingredients first).
- STEP 2: Blend on high for 2 minutes or until smooth. Scrap down sides and blend for another 30 seconds.
- STEP 3: Serve and enjoy!
Recipe from: https://deliciouslysprinkled.com/raspberry-peach-smoothie/
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
This week we end with a nice vegetarian stew.
1/2 cup Yellow onion, small
1. Spray a heavy bottom deep pan with cooking oil spray. Add onion, garlic, oregano, tomato
paste with pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes or until onion are translucent.. Stir well so that
garlic does not burn.
2. Add tomato and basil, then saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Add cabbage, mix frozen/fresh vegetables, water (or vegetable broth if using), generous pinch
of salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
4. Once cabbage and other veggies are tender. Switch off heat. Stir in lemon juice and fresh
chopped parsley. Taste then adjust salt and black pepper. Serve hot. **Follow instructions below
to portion soup for cabbage soup diet plan.
Learn more at: https://www.chefdehome.com/recipes/664/vegetarian-cabbage-soup
Vegan Baked Lemon Doughnuts
This week we have some vegan donuts made with lemons.
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup gluten free flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Grease your doughnut pan (if needed).
Prepare your flax egg by whisking together ground flax seeds and water. Set aside to thicken.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and lemon zest.
In a small bowl, mix the milk, melted coconut oil, lemon extract, and flax mixture together.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Don’t over mix.
Using a piping bag or a large Ziploc bag, pipe the mixture into each cavity.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let the pan sit for a few minutes before removing the doughnuts.
Remove the doughnuts from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze:
Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl and add the lemon juice, and lemon zest (if using).
Mix until everything has combined into a liquid glaze.
When the doughnuts have fully cooled (they don’t take long!), dip the tops of each doughnut into the glaze. Repeat with all the doughnuts.
Place the doughnuts back onto the cooling rack for the excess glaze to drip off and for the glaze to firm up. (Place a piece of parchment paper under the rack to catch the drips!)
Find out more at: https://delightfuladventures.com/vegan-baked-lemon-doughnuts/